Why use books?
- Obtain in-depth information on a topic
- Access original research
- Understand the different viewpoints on an issue
- Discover the history behind an event
To help you decide whether the book is relevant to your research, look through the table of contents and quickly scan the pages.
- Is the author an expert in his field? What are his or her credentials?
- Is the publisher a university press or a general publishing company?
- Does the author include footnotes or list of references to cite their sources?
When using books, keep in mind:
- Books can take a longer time to be published than articles
- Books can be lengthy, so feel comfortable using only the parts that interest you
- Note that a book may be a collection of chapters or articles written by different authors