Chicago: The Basics
Tip: Check out this sample paper to find out what an essay in the Chicago Style looks like.
The examples found in this section are based on the style guide The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th ed., 2017.
The Chicago citation style primarily uses notes.
Tip: Inserting footnotes in a Microsoft Word document is easy: follow these instructions to find out how.
A bibliography may be required and comes at the end of the document. The bibliography regroups in one place all the sources that were cited throughout the paper, with different formatting.
Anthropological research has provided “ecologically insightful accounts of native views of the natural world.”¹³
13. Peter Knudson and David Suzuki, Wisdom of the Elders (Toronto: Stoddart, 1992), 23.
Knudson, Peter and David Suzuki. Wisdom of the Elders. Toronto: Stoddart, 1992.
1. Howard C. Anawalt, Idea Rights: A Guide to Intellectual Property (Durham, NC: Carolina Academic Press, 2011), 103.
2. Peter Knudson and David Suzuki, Wisdom of the Elders (Toronto: Stoddart, 1992), 75-6.
3. Anawalt, Idea Rights, 95.
4. Knudson and Suzuki, Wisdom of the Elders, 23.
5. Knudson and Suzuki, 36-40.